My Books

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Eight Keys

I have just recently started the book Eight Keys by Suzanne LaFleur.  So far this book has been okay.  It has started off a little slow but I’m not really far enough into the book yet.  The beginning was not a real cliff hanger for me.  It did not really grab my interest with an interesting topic, and I found it rather boring.  I think the book is starting to pick up though because already in chapter two, the main character Elise, has found out about the keys.  Elise lives with her Aunt Bessie and Uncle Hugh.  They take really great care of Elise and she seems proud to call them her 'parents'.  She knows from when she was a child that she is not allowed into the barn with the locked doors upstairs.  Ever since that experience Elise and Franklin have been curious. 
          It is Elise and Franklin’s first weekend of the new school year and they are rehashing everything they did over the summer that they enjoyed.  One of the things on their list was making lactose intolerant ice cream for Franklin.  When Elise and Franklin meet up with Aunt Bessie she tells them that she has a catering job today.  She told them that later in the night they could make ice cream together just not right now.  The next thing on their “fun things to do” list was refinish furniture with Uncle Hugh.  Meeting up with Uncle Hugh in the barn outback he told them that he had already finished all of the work for today and he was going inside to relax until more work was thrust upon him.  He told Elise and Franklin they were more than welcome to mess around with the leftover scraps if they didn't tell Franklin’s mom.  Elise and Franklin didn't feel like messing around, they wanted a real job.  Instead of using the old scraps found in the barn they went to their last idea written on the list.  Elise and Franklin were going to catch frogs in the pond behind Franklin’s house.  This was one thing they both really enjoyed doing over the summer and they wanted to relive that experience.  When they arrive at the pond they don’t hear frogs nor do they see frogs.  What are Franklin and Elise going to do?  They have tried everything on their "things to do list". 

          I predict that Elise and Franklin will somewhere locate the keys to the eight locked doors up in her uncle's barn.  I predict this because they have nothing else to do and nothing else to cover their minds with.  They have always been curious to what is behind those eight doors.  Now with Aunt Bessie away and Uncle Hugh out of the barn they have a perfect opportunity to solve the puzzle.               

1 comment:

  1. I really don't like bad beginnings, because if I don't have a good interest in a book, I cannot read on. That is why I abandoned "The Great Gatsby". I think that the book that you are reading is very interesting. Tell me if you like it.

    ReplyDelete