My Books

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Big Nate; not so great!

          I am going to review the book Big Nate Out Loud by: Lincoln Peirce.  When my seven year old brother was reading this book to me I was a little confused.  I was asking myself why his second grade teacher would allow him to read this cartoon book for his personal reading.  On every single page of this book there is a cartoon box with four squares.  In each box there is an average of five words.  I am puzzled as to what educational purpose this book solves.  I really don't understand what learning this is going to do for him. 
          Another problem I had found with this book was that it was pointless.  This cartoon book really had no purpose.  I found it to be very random.  It goes from talking about setting trends to talking about Nate's grade on a math test.  This book also has a lot of words that are un-comprehendible for children at the young age.  The word choice used was set at a very high level, yet the overall randomness and picture drawings don't really mix well.  With the given words it seems as if an older child would be reading this book, but with all of the pictures going on you would think it would be for someone of the young age. 

          I would definitely not recommend this book to older kids.  The book overall is just not very reasonable.  I also would probably not recommend this book to younger children.  This book is not going to help improve their reading skills and there are many words they will not understand or be able to read.  This then causes the children to become confused and not understand the overall point of the scene.  This book is probably not a great choice for you and I would personally not recommend it. 
             

2 comments:

  1. Maybe the point of the book was to teach children some better vocabulary? I don't know...needless to say I wont be reading this and surely won't recommended it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the educational level of the book is very poor. However, I think that they are making them read this just so they develop an interest for reading things in the future.

    ReplyDelete